Friday, February 17, 2006

Errolyn's Song of the Year 2005

The Grammys have come and gone. And they did award Kelly Clarkson's BreakAway for Best Pop Vocal Album but for my very own Song Of The Year......'Because Of You' gets my vote all the way.

From the first time I heard that song, it has captured me - its lyrics so full of meaning and heartache made me relate so much - its chorus is the one that gets to me the most.

Because of you
I never stray too far from the sidewalk
Because of you
I learned to play on the safe side so I don’t get hurt
Because of you
I find it hard to trust not only me, but everyone around me
Because of you I am afraid


Of course Kelly is singing about a different experience and I am reliving a different experience....but the fact is that many songs recently have caught my attention - all for one reason. (A little divert - there's another song too by a black female singer who is chastising her lover about a 'friend' who calls him at 3am - but that doesn't quite get my insides twisted up for the same reason) However, Kelly's song coupled with the video just stuck with me and to me is almost parallel with another favourite song of mine recently - 'Written In The Stars' by Elton John, from the musical Aida.

Kelly's song makes me relate to some parts of it but Elton John's music and Tim Rice's lyrics just break my heart. I thought that's me, that's who they are writing about. In both songs, you hear the yearning, the loss, the dream and the pain and the worst thing is you cannot do anything about it.

I can't go into what these songs make me feel (that's just way too personal and difficult to describe) but needless to say they make me cry.

No comments: