Lee Yoon-Hyung, the Samsung heiress has just committed suicide in New York.
Well! That kinda debunks the general myth that money makes the world go round and money makes you happy. It seems that she was depressed. A pretty girl born with a golden spoon in her mouth with her life beautifully laid out in front of her (she was only 26)…..what else could a person ask for.
It’s sad that I had just written about depression, falling into it and escaping from it and here we see someone who was not able to find the strength to climb out of the rut. If you remember an old cartoon, can’t remember the name of it but once in a while it shows the wife sitting in her ‘Well of Sulkiness/ Petulance/Peevishness/Moodiness…..’; after a while her husband will come and try to get her out of it, sometimes she’d acquiesce, sometimes she’d not and well (pun!) in her bad temper for just a wee bit longer……
It can seem funny in a cartoon strip but when it comes to real life, it is serious business!
Below please find the 9 classic symptoms of depression (from the University of Pennsylvania) and always remember: ‘When a depressed person talks about suicide, it’s NOT a joke!’
1. Depressed mood for the day (sadness or despair or irritable or tense)
2. Disturbed appetite or change in weight
3. Disturbed sleep
4. Psychomotor retardation or agitation (an abnormal slowing of movement that is directly related to brain activity)
5. Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities, inability to enjoy usual hobbies or activities
6. Fatigue or loss of energy
7. Feelings of worthlessness; excessive and/or inappropriate guilt
8. Difficulty concentrating or thinking clearly
9. Morbid or suicidal
Please also be aware of masked depression”It is possible for people to suffer from major depression without their friends and loved ones realizing it. Their depression may be masked because they don't talk about their low mood. Instead, they may complain of various physical problems (e.g., indigestion, heartburn, muscle or joint pains, and chronic headaches). Further questioning may reveal that depression is responsible for their symptoms.”
Anyway, no more sad stories - look out for miracles next!